Thursday, September 28, 2006

Diminished Intelligence

I love writing. I always dreamed to be a writer, in fact I secretly aspire to write a book about my inner discoveries from my dare to be an angel journey which I have been dilligently documenting on my dare to be an angel website. However who am I fooling I don't know shit about writing a book or anything. I am a mom now and any literary knowledge I had in from those prehistorical years of college was wiped out with my first child with the complexity of my sentences reduced to......."Gotta go potty?"

In high school I was in AP English and could dissect and analyze any great author with eloquence and references to dialogue and a vocabulary only a literary agent would appreciate. I entered college as a journalism major with dreams of seeing my name in a New York Times byline........scholarships, dreams reaching beyond the moon and the stars,.....then I stepped out to "find myself" only to discover several years later.......I hadn't "found" anything other than the fact that waitressing as a career is no career.......and reality is a bludgeoning reality.The realization of my literary banishment came when i was on the phone with a friend and told her goodnight via "gotta go nite nite". Sentences with words more than two sylables had vanquished from my vocabulary running to high ground hoping to be saved but with no reinforcement other than the techno garb from my IT position.......my vocabulary was doomed.

How can I hope to write anymore when my word of the day is my child's spelling list?

I even became more disillusioned when reviewing my 5th grader's English homework. I no longer recall the distinction between a simile and a metaphor. I can read a book and appreciate it all, but label anything? NO.

Slipping down the drain..........to single mom illiteracy

No comments: